Jim
@ October 26, 2008

----------
People have a habit of sending me emails. I get a lot of them, but occasionally I'll get one that is clearly intended for someone else.

In this instance, I've been asked for some advice on a rather delicate situation... please read below. I do plan on responding and chipping in my two cents as to what to do about Clark... OC readers, what would you tell Tiana, John and Susie to do in this situation?

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Williams"
To: "Johnnaisbitt \(johnnaisbitt\)" , "Johnnaisbitt2 \(johnnaisbitt2\)" , "Tiana \(tiana\)"
Subject: Clark
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:59:45 -0600

John,

Kate said there was a message on her cell phone from you for Clark.  She uses the ranch phone that Clark used to use. Clark called me today and said he plans to  come to work here Nov 1.  That is what he said last month about coming Oct 1, so that may or may not happen.  He said Woody is gone this weekend, so he is planning on going in to town and getting a haircut...I don't know if he has gotten one since he was here last year.

I asked him if he was taking his medicine, he said he is taking something herbal that the doctor in Maine told him to try.  He didn't feel like he was doing well on the medicine that he was taking down here.

He is very thin.  He doesn' t have a vehicle to get to town.  He told Gary that he sent all his money to his girls recently, so ran out of money.  He got so hungry that he had to ask for a ride to town to get foodL

Your mom  was here 2 years ago this week.  I hope she is doing OK.

Just thought I would let you know.

Susie Williams

----- Original Message -----
From: jnaisbitt@*********.com
To: George Williams ; Johnnaisbitt \\(johnnaisbitt\\) ; Johnnaisbitt2 \\(johnnaisbitt2\\) ; Tiana \\(tiana\\)
Cc: Tiana Losee ; janaisbitt@*****.com
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: Clark

Susie,

This is news to me, thanks.

The last time we discussed plans, Clark was going to leave Woody's and go to Salt Lake to work for a few weeks before coming to Panama.  The only issue he had was to arrange to do something with his horse for the winter and I was under the understanding that he had made arrangements with Dan and Tiana to keep the horse there.

Clark returning to your ranch is not healthy.  I am sorry, but I have to recommend that you all tell him "NO" and force him to get off his butt and change his life.

I will discuss with Mom and Tiana.

Regards,

John

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tiana Losee"
To: jnaisbitt@********.com
Subject: Re: Clark
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:37:58 -0600

Hi John,

I just got off the phone with Clark and he asked me if I thought he should go back to George & Susie's and I told him it was at least a place where he had food and shelter, a place for his horse and dog.  I agree that he is lonely and not happy there but if he goes to Panama and you don't find some chiquita to keep him company he will just have two more things to obsess over - his dog and horse.  I really don't know what is best for him - he needs lots of emotional support and there is no one able to do that.  Dan is going through Wyoming on Sunday and plans to stop and take Clark to dinner and talk about things - if you have some strong suggestions please let us know so he can present them.

Clark seems to need a very definite plan.

We are willing to take his horse (not the dog - we're gone too often) and we do have some very minimal work to keep him busy for a couple of weeks.  Jane said she would fly him down to AZ for Thanksgiving but that is as far as any of us are able to project.

Clark is a good soul and it is hard for me to see what is happening and feel so helpless.

Tiana

----- Original Message -----
From: John Naisbitt
To: Jane Fisher ; Tiana Losee
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 10:51 AM
Subject: Fwd: Clark

I responded to Susie and indicated to her that she should say "no" and not let him return to work there.  I don't know what the current issue is, but after offering him to coome to Panama and work, and all he has to do is do something with his horse....  i give up

----- Original Message -----
From: jnaisbitt@********.com
To: Tiana Losee
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: Clark

Tiana,

Thanks for your support.  I do not believe it is good that he returns right away to George's and Susie's.  I believe they enable his behavior and i think a dramatic change would be good for him, even if it's just two or three months.  I was hoping he could stay busy there until Christmas either helping you or Curt fix up his place to rent,  but if that's not possible he's welcome to come at any time.

I am getting damn tired of making a plan and waiting for him to follow through and his not doing it.  I am about to tell him to take a friggin' hike as I think someone needs to jolt him out of la la land!  If you talk to him, tell him I still want hinm to come, but he will have to get off his butt and do something to make it happen as I sure can't from down here.

I'll be arriving Panama tonight and I'll ask at aduana (Customs) about bringing his dog with (argggh!).

Cheers,

J.

----- Original Message -----
From: Tiana Losee
To: John Naisbitt
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:52 PM

John - Jane asked if you would please call her this afternoon between 3 and 5 or after 8 pm or tomorrow morning before 10 am before you leave the country.  OR let me know how she can call you.  She is really agonizing over all of this.

Tiana

----- Original Message -----
From: John Naisbitt
To: Tiana Losee
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:54 PM
Subject: Re: Clark

This is just why he ought to get off his butt;.  I am in houston and I board a plane in 45 minutes.  I will try tonight when i get to Panama if I remember (I have plans) and or tomorrow.

----- Original Message -----
From: John Naisbitt
To: Tiana Losee
- Hide quoted text -
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: Clark
- Hide quoted text -

OR, she can call me on my Peruvian cell in the next 45 minutes, or tonight if i don't call her.  the number is 555 555 55555 5555.  i don't have much to tell her... it's Clark's decision, not mine.

----------

Clark needs to get out of his comfort zone and into the Canal Zone.

He is caught in a cycle of dependence that George and Susie are only enabling by letting him stay at the ranch. While it was good of them to provide him the opportunity to stay their in the past, clearly it did not motivate him to try and get his life together.

While I would not bet any money on him actually joining John in Panama, it is clearly the right thing to do. Leaving animals behind is a convenient excuse for him not to go, but if someone is willing to care for them while he is away then an excuse is all it really is. He will continue to be a no good layabout as long as these people continue to let him. Tell him he needs to make his own way.

I agree with Jesse's diagnosis, but am pessimistic about the good that the Panama trip will do. The key issue is in the first email - he has no money because, he claims, he sent it to 'his girls'. Is this true? I suspect there's more to the story because this is mostly ignored for the rest of the letters, but it's an intriguing question. If he has dependants, his inability to change is all the more tragic. But with all the help offered in the past to Clarke, the girls seem to be left to fend for themselves.

If responsibility hasn't changed Clark, will a change of scenery do anything? It probably won't hurt, but he clearly needs to do some soul searching and introspection. Is he too old, too set in his ways to reform?